Wow - Garett's first birthday was more than just a day of celebration, it was a fun-filled and friends and family-packed weekend! His MiMi and GooGoo arrived on Wednesday to help us get ready for the party. On the Thursday of his actual birthday, GooGoo treated us to a birthday breakfast at Cracker Barrel. That evening we had Garett's favorite homemade ziti for dinner, complete with safari party hats, and Garett opened a few surprise presents from Daddy. Grandma Linda and Grandpa Greg arrived on Friday evening and treated us to San Jose for fajitas, margaritas and a little birthday flan, which Garett smeared all over his face and the table. Garett went down for the night around 8:30pm, and he awoke ready to party at 11:00pm. He was simply too excited to sleep! Around 4:30am, we resorted to putting him in the car and driving him around until he passed out, which he eventually did around 5:30. We were all a bit weary from lack of sleep the next day, but it didn't keep us from having a great party. After the party, and a blessed, much-needed afternoon nap for the birthday boy, we opened presents and headed out for dinner at Red Robin. On Sunday, we had a big family breakfast with the grandparents, Uncle Joe, Aunt Natalie and cousins Zach and Leah, and spent the day at the zoo. I think we are still recovering from all the festivities, but we wouldn't have had it any other way. We are so thankful to everyone who made our Lil' Slugger's first birthday a GRAND SLAM!
Garett woke from his morning nap on the day of his party and Daddy dressed him in the cupcake John-John I bought for his first birthday when I was pregnant. When he came out of the nursery and saw the house all decorated with red, white and blue balloons, Garett smiled the biggest smile I've ever seen, puffed out his chest with pride and marched toward me with his arms out wide. I scooped him up and cried, cried, cried. All the work and planning for his big day paid off in that one tiny moment.
Cousins Zach and Leah are so much fun for Garett to hang out with.
The baseball cupcakes and Garett's smash cake weren't homemade - I bake very poorly and would probably have had a stroke trying to make a decent cake. Thank goodness I found Vintage Bakery! Thanks to the owner Vicki for making such a special cake - it was even cooler than I had invisioned when we orginally discussed the design.
Zach and Leah, the older and wiser of the three cousins, give Garett some pointers on cake-destruction.
Garett, all smeared in green icing and straddling his cake, looks like a combination of the Incredible Hulk and King Kong.
Have cupcake, will travel.
Grandpa Greg and Uncle Joe team up for a cornhole tournament.